18 Mar 2017

Don't be negative about negative people...

I am afraid I must admit that I have been accused of being a negative person on more than one occasion.

Naturally I don't consider myself to be negative, just a pragmatic realist who is blessed with common sense and foresight.

I would argue that history has shown me to be correct more often than not. It may take a little time, but the blind optimists and their rose-tinted spectacles (if that isn't a contradiction in terms) usually end up shrugging their shoulders and saying "that couldn't be foreseen" whilst I'm sat here thinking "I told you so"...

After many years of this kind of bashing, I am now acutely aware that the accusations of "negativity" are just a trick that some people pull in order to subjugate others into accepting their own line of thinking. By the time they're proven to be wrong, it is usually far too late to do anything about it.

I've seen local politicians do this in Council meetings. It also happens in the workplace a lot. Sadly, I've seen members of my my own family do it too.

As you may know, negativity-bashing is commonplace across social media, so this meme rather appealed to me when I spotted it recently. I thought it was a refreshing change which hit the nail on the head...